Skip to main content

Terry Curtis - And Gandhi


Terry Curtis is one of those people that could easily disappear into the crowd.  Looking at him he is completely average and unassuming.  You could be on a bus with him and not even notice that he was there.  But when you talk to him and sit down and get to know him you will realize that he is a man of great depth and character.

I got to know Terry in England where I was serving as a missionary and he was a local member of the church.  He was actually responsible for the missionary work in his ward and so we got to spend a lot of time together.  Terry was an absolute delight.  He loved music and poetry and loved the work that we were doing.

Terry taught me a lot about being happy and what is really important.  He taught me about how enriching diverse cultures can be.  He was certainly an example of selfless service and love.

Upon leaving that city Terry and his dear wife Rosy gave me a set of three books.  One was a great photo journal about the city of Leicester.  The others were the Dalai Lama’s Freedom from Exile and the autobiography of Mahatma Gandhi called, The Story of my Experiments with Truth.  The latter has had a great impact on me.  It is important to note that I have always loved the study of world religions and have sought to find understanding with people from around the globe.  One of my favorite things about serving a mission in England was the opportunity to meet and get to know people from over 90 countries.  I sat in the homes of all kinds of Christians, Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists, Atheists and even a few Taoists.  One of my favorite experiences was a meeting with a devout Druid. I loved these interactions, I loved learning of their culture and finding their truths.  So when I was had returned home and had the chance to read Gandhi’s book I was deeply impacted.

I read the book with a pen in hand and took down notes, highlighted important points, added cross-references to scripture and other important writings.   I learned some wonderful lessons about how to treat people that are very different from me.  I learned that Gandhi’s greatest power came from his desire to learn and understand what is true.  He was not always a great leader, he was not always a great man, but in the end he had an insatiable desire to understand truth.

This book impacted the way that I eat, or perhaps more accurately the way that I ate.  After reading the book I was fascinated with Gandhi’s interest in nutrition.  It was his favorite subject in many ways and he made it his life mission to learn to eat well.  It reminded me of some of the thoughts that Benjamin Franklin shared about his diet while a young man.  It made me decide that I needed to be more aware of what and how I ate.  In fact it lead to a period of my life where I went a couple of years without ever buying red meat, I ate fish and some chicken but I was very careful about what I put into my body.  Chocolate Milk and M&M’s being the glaring exception.  I kept up that diet for a long time, it was not extreme and if I was at a family dinner with meat I ate it happily, but where I could control my own food purchases I did.  I have somewhat gone away from that in the past few years, although I still don’t eat red meat very often and I am still trying to eat  healthy foods between my M&M’s and animal cookies.

I would not have had these experiences and learned these lessons.  My life would not have been shaped the way that it had if Terry had never been in my life.  In a very real way he impacted my diet for several years.  He impacted the way that I listen to people and think about their problems.  Reflecting now I wish that I were still as impacted today as I was when first reading the book.  Regardless, Terry passed the test as one who impacted my life through his simple acts.  I have had very little interaction with Terry since leaving England.  I have often wondered how he is doing and what he is doing.  He is a man that I will always have a great love for.  So Terry, wherever you are and whatever you are doing.  Thank you for changing my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Wall – Serving the Community

Many of the people that have influenced me are your average Joe’s and Jane’s.  They have been neighbors and friends, classmates and coworkers but occasionally they have been more public citizens or high profile individuals.  Some of the high profile folks on the list have come across as kind of “high and mighty.”  They know that they are a big deal in town and they let everybody know it.  This is a story about a man that was a big deal in town, but that was as down to earth as any neighbor and friend that you could hope for. Jim Wall was the president and publisher of the Deseret Morning news when I first met him.  He had been in that position for many years when we first crossed paths.  As the publisher of a major newspaper he had enormous influence in Salt Lake City and throughout Utah.  We met while we were both serving on the board of directors for the Salt Lake Convention and Visitors Bureau, later called Visit Salt Lake. The board is a ...

Rick Martin - Finance Chair

Thinking about Candace Daly for my last post made me think of some of the other people who helped me in tremendous ways and who were parents of my friends.  Some of them where always, and probably always will be my friends parent. I mean that I really only had a connection to them because of their children.  However some of the people that I am grateful for started out as my friend’s parents but eventually became good friends directly.  They are people who became close friends in their own right despite the strength of the relationship that I had with their children. One of these people, who I consider a friend first and the parent of a friend second, is Rick martin.  Rick is Justin Martin’s dad.  Justin and I went to Viewmont High School together and were pretty good friends.  He was one of a group of friends that as a group could have their own blog entry here.  Perhaps I will write about the impact of the group another day, but I will say that ...

Mike Hardy – The Reason that I am a Michael

I have never cared very much about what people call me, but for years most people have called me Michael.  I get asked all of the time whether I prefer to be called Mike or Michael and I have a canned response.  I tell everybody that when I was in high school one of my best friends was named Mike and that I was Michael and that was just how we were distinguished.  I probably go through this routine every couple of weeks and have for years.  Each time it reminds me of that Mike who used to be a huge part of my life and who, for many reasons, I am very grateful for. I don’t remember how I met Mike, I think he was a friend of a friend and I am sure that we started to hang out because we were friends with, and probably both trying to woo, the same girl. I remember that by the beginning of our junior year in high school that we were pretty close and that we got much closer through that year.  I could write countless stories of adventures that Mike and I had tha...