Skip to main content

Rick Martin - Finance Chair


Thinking about Candace Daly for my last post made me think of some of the other people who helped me in tremendous ways and who were parents of my friends.  Some of them where always, and probably always will be my friends parent. I mean that I really only had a connection to them because of their children.  However some of the people that I am grateful for started out as my friend’s parents but eventually became good friends directly.  They are people who became close friends in their own right despite the strength of the relationship that I had with their children.

One of these people, who I consider a friend first and the parent of a friend second, is Rick martin.  Rick is Justin Martin’s dad.  Justin and I went to Viewmont High School together and were pretty good friends.  He was one of a group of friends that as a group could have their own blog entry here.  Perhaps I will write about the impact of the group another day, but I will say that I could not have hand selected a better group of people to surround me during those years. This group was frequently found at the Martin’s home on weekend evenings.  It was the location of a couple of epic sleep overs and many movie nights.  This is how I got to know Rick Martin.

Rick stood out among the parents of my friends because he wanted to be part of the group.  He wanted to hang out, talk about what was going on, and he wanted to know who was dating and who was not.  There were many times that he had to force himself away from us in order to give us our space but I am sure that if he had no conscience about his son’s independence that he would have joined us on every group date, come to every movie, been at every dance and helped us leave pudding paintings on our friends door steps.  He always made sure that we had plenty of snacks to eat and drinks to drink.  Because of his nature we all got to know Rick a little bit.

I really started to get to know Rick when he and his wife Doris chaperoned a trip that a group of us took to Zion’s National Park.  On the way down I was in Rick’s car with his family and a couple of friends.  The drive was going quickly because Rick’s son Justin had brought with him the first Harry Potter book and we had convinced him that we could read it out loud as we drove 9my first introduction to the series).   Along the way the car began to overheat.  We stopped once or twice to let it cool down but ultimately as the sun went down the car finally called it quits.  So here we are in the middle of nowhere I-15 Utah and our car is broken down.  We called for a tow truck and proceeded to read more Harry Potter.  Ultimately there was not enough room in the tow truck for all of us so those of us reading to book ended up in the broken down car, on the top of the tow truck, still reading Harry Potter.  We were towed to St. George where the friends who had already made it down were able to pick us up and take us to Zion’s.  Rick and his wife stayed in St. George to deal with the car.  Ultimately the next day they arrived at the campsite with a new car.  The other had run its last race.  Rick never complained about having to get a new car, at least not to us.  Instead he was his usual joyful self through the trip.  He invited us to crash his hotel room so that we could all shower after a long hike.  He was as hospitable and happy as ever.

While that story is symbolic of how Rick is, and explains where I really started to get to know him, it was only the beginning of how Rick helped to shape my life.  Through these experiences Rick was still my friend’s dad. It was several years later that Rick became a friend.

Upon returning from a mission in England my family had moved from our home in Bountiful to a home in Centerville.  As such I was in a new neighborhood which in my church meant a new ward and a new stake.  I was quickly asked to serve in a capacity as the young single adult representative for all of the young unmarried folks in the stake.  About this same time Rick was called to be the young single adult advisor meaning that the two of us would work hand in hand to develop activities and programs for the single people in the community. We worked together in this capacity, along with his wife and others for the next year and a half.

During this time Rick opened his home to us once a month.  By us I mean dozens of young single members of our church from the neighborhood.  He would provide food and snacks and a great place to get together.  He helped young people to be welcome in the church and to have a desire to associate with other likeminded people.  He was good at his job and helped me to be better at mine.  It was in this capacity that we became friends.  He was one of the first to know when I started dating someone, the first to encourage me along when things didn’t work out.  He invited me to live in his home when my family left the city.  He watched out for me and supported me.  In many ways he was like family to me during this time.

Yet his support went beyond that.  Around this time I decided to run for mayor.  I was 22 years old and had only been living in Centerville for a handful of months.  I was living in the basement of some good friends and had not yet completed college.  I was running against a 22 year citizen of the city who was a past city council member which had run for mayor once before and only lost by 70 votes.  I was crazy to even think about running, and crazier still because I thought that I might have a chance of winning.  At that time Rick stepped up and asked if he could help.  He ended up volunteering as my finance chair and went to work for my campaign. He helped me to raise more money than had been spent in any Centerville mayor race to that point.  He made countless calls on my behalf, hosted events in his home and gave credibility to my race that I could not have had on my own. Rick’s contribution of time, energy, trust, money and confidence was a major part of my success in that race.  I was not successful in getting elected, but I received a huge amount of support and a lot of votes. Many more votes than I think anybody imagined.

The success of that race raised my profile in the community despite not winning.  It was not long after that that I had a job offer which referenced my candidacy as one of the major reasons for selecting me.  It was through that race that I met or became reacquainted with many people who have become close friends.  Looking back it truly shaped my life and yet I know that without Rick’s support and confidence I could not have done as well as I did and I would not have benefited from the experiences in the ways that I have.  Certainly others were significant in that process, I may write about them another time, but here I want to recognize what Rick did to shape and change my life.  I will forever be indebted to him for his kindness and generosity towards me and I will always count Rick as a good friend.

Comments

Justin said…
Incredible post! Thanks Mike!
Megan said…
Rick really is absolutely one of the most generous people I have ever known, in every way. He is generous with his time, his love, his resources, and his influence. I am so lucky to have him as my father in law and a grandpa to my boys. And so lucky that his goodness shows up so often in Justin. Thanks Michael, for making me a little more grateful today!!

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Wall – Serving the Community

Many of the people that have influenced me are your average Joe’s and Jane’s.  They have been neighbors and friends, classmates and coworkers but occasionally they have been more public citizens or high profile individuals.  Some of the high profile folks on the list have come across as kind of “high and mighty.”  They know that they are a big deal in town and they let everybody know it.  This is a story about a man that was a big deal in town, but that was as down to earth as any neighbor and friend that you could hope for. Jim Wall was the president and publisher of the Deseret Morning news when I first met him.  He had been in that position for many years when we first crossed paths.  As the publisher of a major newspaper he had enormous influence in Salt Lake City and throughout Utah.  We met while we were both serving on the board of directors for the Salt Lake Convention and Visitors Bureau, later called Visit Salt Lake. The board is a ...

Mike Hardy – The Reason that I am a Michael

I have never cared very much about what people call me, but for years most people have called me Michael.  I get asked all of the time whether I prefer to be called Mike or Michael and I have a canned response.  I tell everybody that when I was in high school one of my best friends was named Mike and that I was Michael and that was just how we were distinguished.  I probably go through this routine every couple of weeks and have for years.  Each time it reminds me of that Mike who used to be a huge part of my life and who, for many reasons, I am very grateful for. I don’t remember how I met Mike, I think he was a friend of a friend and I am sure that we started to hang out because we were friends with, and probably both trying to woo, the same girl. I remember that by the beginning of our junior year in high school that we were pretty close and that we got much closer through that year.  I could write countless stories of adventures that Mike and I had tha...