Skip to main content

Jeanne McGuire - High School Musical


I think that this post would surprise people who knew me in high school and who knew Jeanne McGuire.  Jeanne was the high school choral director at Viewmont High School.  She was a no nonsense director that expected the best from her students and who often scared them into better performance.  There were a lot of choir students that could not stand her, many dropped out or never took choir because of what they heard about her.  But more often, her students had enormous respect for her.  She knew her music, she knew how to bring out the best from most of the students and they were better performers and singers from having her classes.

What may seem strange about this post to people who knew me in high school is that I never took choir.  I was not one of the hundreds of students that took 10th grade choir and I was certainly not qualified to try out for the performance choirs.  I had many, many close friends who were in these choirs and who loved their experiences in them, but I was not a singer.  I had no experience as a singer and I had zero confidence in my voice, nor did I have much interest in singing.  I always envied those that could sing, and loved to listen to their performances, but it was never something that I wanted to do myself.

So why am I writing about Jeanne McGuire?  It comes down to two important events in my life that she had a large part in.  The first was in tenth grade when I was the new kid in town and didn’t know very many people.  My step-sister Stefanie, who was one of those choir kids who took at least one choir class every year, was one of the few people that I spent time with those days.  She decided that she was going to try out for the musical that year, Annie Get Your Gun.  It was natural for her.  She had an amazing voice and had performed for years.  Then she decided to drag me into her plans as an attempt to get me to be more social and meet more people.

As I said earlier, I was not a singer, I never had been and never thought that I would be.  I had had some experience with junior high acting classes and I liked the idea of performing as an actor, as long as I didn’t have to sing.  But Stefanie was convincing and I decided to try out.  She helped me pick a song and then accompanied me for my audition.  She realized while we were picking a song that I could not hear myself sing and I had a range of about twelve notes.  When we finally landed on a song from the Phantom of the Opera she had to adjust the key just to fit my voice into it.  We practiced and she encouraged me to sing out loud and to try and to give it my best shot.  It was a well-known fact that not a lot of tenth graders made the musical, it was a competitive environment and a lot of people tried out.  I didn’t have a lot of hope that I would make it, but I tried to practice hard anyway.

The day of the audition came and Stefanie did fantastic in hers, as was expected.  Then it was my turn.  I took the stage and gave my name and then things went south.  Stefanie began to play and I began to sing. I made it five words into the song, literally five words and completely forgot the words that I was supposed to be singing.  Stefanie continued to play, I stopped and looked at her.  She began to whisper the words from the piano, I tried to pick up the words once or twice and generally ended up just humming along as best I could.  It was dismal and completely embarrassing.

I left the audition thinking that I had no chance of making the musical.  Certainly I was a long shot to begin with but after that performance I was in no shape to even hope for a spot.  However, after Jeanne McGuire listened to all additions and considered what she needed she included me on the list of people who had made the generic cast.  I was shocked. I could not believe that I had made it as much as I could not believe that Stefanie had not.  She was so deserving and I was anything but deserving.

I will never be able to explain why I made the musical, certainly it was easier for guys to make the play as a matter of supply and demand, but others were cut when I was not.  So I was in Annie Get Your Gun.  When the rehearsals started I didn’t know more than two or three people in the cast of probably more than sixty people.  I still had no confidence to sing so I ended up mouthing the words most of the time, when I could remember them.  I learned to dance and move around the stage and overall I had a wonderful experience.  I met people during that production that would become close friends, some that continue to be some of my closest friends.  Because of that it was an important moment in my life.  It was a moment that I will not forget and that has left a lasting impact on me.

Two years later I auditioned for the musical again, this time it was Hello Dolly.  Again I made a mess of my audition and again I was given the chance to be in the play.  This time I sang most of the songs and had much more confidence in myself.  I was a senior and knew most of the people in the cast.  I got to help choreograph part of a scene which included me doing enormous assisted backflips in a tuxedo.  I had a great time and bonded with many close friends.  I was not the star by any means, I was probably never ever heard by the audience when I sang, but I had a great time and grew in confidence once again.

Through both of these experiences I really had very little interaction with Jeanne McGuire.  Certainly she directed us and choreographed everything, but we never interacted other than in large groups.  I never did join any of the choirs and she probably forgot all about me shortly after graduation.  I don’t know why she gave me the opportunities that she did, there were many people who could have done a better job and who certainly deserved the chance.  But the opportunity to perform in those two musicals became valuable experiences for me.  They shape my life.  So thank you Jeanne McGuire.

Comments

Justin said…
I still can't believe that we were allowed to do back flips on the stage. Good times!

I agree with this post... Jeanne McGuire was tough, but I think she helped create a lot of what made/makes Viewmont such a great school. She was a great teacher.

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Wall – Serving the Community

Many of the people that have influenced me are your average Joe’s and Jane’s.  They have been neighbors and friends, classmates and coworkers but occasionally they have been more public citizens or high profile individuals.  Some of the high profile folks on the list have come across as kind of “high and mighty.”  They know that they are a big deal in town and they let everybody know it.  This is a story about a man that was a big deal in town, but that was as down to earth as any neighbor and friend that you could hope for. Jim Wall was the president and publisher of the Deseret Morning news when I first met him.  He had been in that position for many years when we first crossed paths.  As the publisher of a major newspaper he had enormous influence in Salt Lake City and throughout Utah.  We met while we were both serving on the board of directors for the Salt Lake Convention and Visitors Bureau, later called Visit Salt Lake. The board is a ...

Rick Martin - Finance Chair

Thinking about Candace Daly for my last post made me think of some of the other people who helped me in tremendous ways and who were parents of my friends.  Some of them where always, and probably always will be my friends parent. I mean that I really only had a connection to them because of their children.  However some of the people that I am grateful for started out as my friend’s parents but eventually became good friends directly.  They are people who became close friends in their own right despite the strength of the relationship that I had with their children. One of these people, who I consider a friend first and the parent of a friend second, is Rick martin.  Rick is Justin Martin’s dad.  Justin and I went to Viewmont High School together and were pretty good friends.  He was one of a group of friends that as a group could have their own blog entry here.  Perhaps I will write about the impact of the group another day, but I will say that ...

Mike Hardy – The Reason that I am a Michael

I have never cared very much about what people call me, but for years most people have called me Michael.  I get asked all of the time whether I prefer to be called Mike or Michael and I have a canned response.  I tell everybody that when I was in high school one of my best friends was named Mike and that I was Michael and that was just how we were distinguished.  I probably go through this routine every couple of weeks and have for years.  Each time it reminds me of that Mike who used to be a huge part of my life and who, for many reasons, I am very grateful for. I don’t remember how I met Mike, I think he was a friend of a friend and I am sure that we started to hang out because we were friends with, and probably both trying to woo, the same girl. I remember that by the beginning of our junior year in high school that we were pretty close and that we got much closer through that year.  I could write countless stories of adventures that Mike and I had tha...