Skip to main content

Mike Leavitt - Thirty Minutes That Changed A Life


Part of the reasoning behind this project is that it is requiring me to think about important turning points in my life, recognize vital influences at that time and try to understand how that influence has impacted me.  It is a way to understand how grateful I should be as much as an opportunity to express how grateful that I am.  Some of the people on my ‘list of folks to write about’ are people who have impacted me, but I am not yet sure how.  I need to evaluate their influence and then hopefully come to a deeper understanding of their impact on me.

On the other hand there are people on my list like Mike Leavitt who inspired the gratitude project and whose influence I have evaluated over and over in my mind through the years.  I could detail at length the direct impact that has come from my interactions with Mike Leavitt and his influence upon me.  The challenge here is to try and keep that line of thought to only a few pages.

My first significant interaction with the then Governor Leavitt came when I was 15 years old.  I was in my sophomore year at Viewmont High School and was the new kid in town.  I didn’t know many people because my family had just moved to the area.  For years I had been interested in politics and at 15 I decided that it was time to get serious if I were ever going to make anything of myself.  I wrote a letter to Gov. Leavitt asking for his advice, suggesting to him that if he were to take me under his wing and teach me a few things that I would be advantaged in knowing what steps to take as a young man. I wrote the letter and kind of sat on it for a while.  Then something somewhat remarkable happened. 

As part of a major land swap that took place after the creation of Escalante National Monument the federal government had agreed to pay $50 million to the State of Utah.  Since this money was meant to go to the school trust lands, Gov. Leavitt and Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt decided to have the ceremonial passing of the large check take place at a school.  Lucky for me they chose Viewmont High School for the occasion.  They had the ceremony in the gym and invited all of the students to sit in the bleachers and watch while the floor was reserved for legislators, representatives from the federal government and tribal leaders from Native American tribes.  Obviously I was not going to just sit in the bleachers when so many interesting people were sitting on the gym floor.  So I snuck onto the gym floor and found myself a seat.  I was a little bit surprised when my older brother Steven showed up on the gym floor with a couple of friends and joined me.  So there we were, the only students on the court surrounded by dignitaries and government leaders.

Knowing that the governor was coming that day I brought my letter with me to the ceremony.  After the ceremony I tried to get close enough to pass it on, but without success.  Luckily, being on the court, I saw a neighbor of mine close by.  He was the superintendent of our school district and who I knew had a good relationship with the governor.  So I passed him the letter and asked if he would pass it along to the governor.

Several days later I got a call from the governor’s assistant.  He told me that he had been given my letter from the superintendent and that he had passed it on to the governor.  As it turns out the governor wanted to see if he could meet with me, to talk about what I had written.

So at 15 I convinced my mom to let me skip school one day to go and meet with the governor.  We drove to the capitol and went to the lobby outside the governor’s office.  Eventually we were invited into the governor’s office to wait until he finished another appointment.  When the governor came in I expected a couple of minutes and a photograph.  Instead we spent nearly 30 minutes talking about my letter, what it would take for me to have success in politics and most importantly what I could be doing at that time to prepare.  We did snap several pictures, including one or two with me in the governor’s chair.  It was very exciting and very memorable.

The governor gave me a couple of pieces of advice that have had a huge impact on me.  One was that I needed to keep up to date on what was going on in the world.  I needed to read the newspapers and try to stay informed about important news events.  The second was that I needed to find opportunities to serve and volunteer.  I needed to be active in the community and help when people needed help.  He said that helping in little ways and doing the tough work that nobody wanted would help me a lot.  Lastly he told me to run for class office.  I told him that I was new to the school and that I planned to use the next year to get to know people so that I could run for office at the end of my junior year.  He suggested that although I would have very little chance of winning, that just by putting my name out there and campaigning, that I would meet a lot of people and build friendships that would not only help me win the next year but would help me to enjoy my whole high school experience more.

I took these pieces of advice pretty seriously and they have had a major impact on my life.  The first two have impacted me in a lot of ways, I have kept up with the news fairly well for the past fourteen years aside from when I was in England and I have volunteered for many roles and jobs that have opened up a host of opportunities.  But it was his third piece of advice that has had the greatest impact on my life.

I took the advice to run for office, knowing full well that I may not have a chance to win.  I picked the position that I felt gave me the best shot and went to work.  I worked my tail off and introduced myself to a lot of people.  My hand full friends worked hard for me as well.  I was shocked when I made it to the final over five other candidates going after my position.  All of a sudden it seemed like I had a chance to win.  The experience was incredibly rewarding, people who I barely knew stepped up to assist me.  People that I did not know came up to me and asked for campaign materials.  It was a wonderful experience.

I did end up winning that election and the day that it was announced my life changed.  This may seem dramatic and cliché and even unfortunate, but for me it was true.  I attended a dance that night and the results were announced.  For the first time I felt like people knew who I was and I had people to hang out with and talk to.  All of a sudden I was comfortable in the room.

Ultimately I became as social as anybody in the class and felt like my life was filled with good friends and rewarding service.  I learned a lot being a class officer and had a great time doing it.  But the impact of doing that as a junior rather than as a senior was tremendous.

Each year the Davis School District Board of Education has one student member represent all of the students in the district.  Each year they look at student names submitted from the various high schools to fill the seat.  Viewmont had a tradition of simply submitting the name of the Junior Class President to be the next year’s representative.  In my year they changed the tradition and sent my name, the vice-president, instead.  I was not in the same league as most of the other applicants.  If I remember correctly five of the eight nominees had 4.0 GPAs, two of them had GPAs above 3.85 leaving me the remaining candidate with a GPA that barely qualified me to participate at a 3.2.  These students were in countless AP and honors classes and had been good students their whole lives.  I had been a horrible student for most of my life and had only pulled things together the previous two years.

For some reason, against their previous tradition and track record, the school board and administrators chose me that year.  This meant that for a year I would have the chance to sit on the board and represent the needs of the students.  I was able to hold council with student body presidents from all of the schools.  I was able to get into all of the activities for free (which saved me over $400 when I added it all up, I went to a lot of activities).  I was able to meet a lot of people that would become friends and that would be incredibly helpful to my career in the future.

Later it was because of that position and what I did there that I was invited to have an internship with the Davis School District Foundation.  It was that internship that allowed me to establish relationships with many mayors and city councils in the county through the Davis Reads Program.  It was partly those relationships that made me an attractive candidate to run the community television station for the chamber of commerce.  Also while working in that internship I met Scott Lunt who would later invite me to apply for a job at the Utah Hotel & Lodging Association, a position that really added a jolt in the arm of my career.

I can literally say that had I not run for student body office that year I would not have had those jobs, and would not have the job that I have today.  I could give more details of how that happened but the point is that a single piece of advice given to me by a governor that could have easily been ‘too busy’ to meet with me at age 15, changed my life.  It gave me rich experiences that I could have had in no other way.

It was two years after our first meeting while I was doing my required senior job shadow that I met with Governor Leavitt again.  I was able to get a day shadowing the Deputy of Education Vernon (Con) Rowley whose office was down the hall from the Lt. Governor and Governor (This is another example of a benefit that came from being on the school board).  So I met briefly with Olene Walker and talked about what her role was as the Lt. Governor.  Then I met with Gov. Leavitt again.  This time we had a couple of minutes and snapped a few pictures.  He was a bit rushed because, as luck would have it, it was the day of his inauguration.  Then I encountered another one of countless little coincidences that have impacted my life.  One of the governor’s staff ended up not being able to attend the inauguration.  It just so happened that I was standing there when the chief of staff got the news and I was invited to attend in their place.

The inauguration ceremony was fun and interesting with great speeches and some exciting fanfare.  The part that impacted me the most, and that I will always remember came after the ceremony.  There were fireworks on the south lawn of the capitol afterwards to celebrate.  The elected officials and their families were invited into a little roped off area on the capitol steps where everybody else was ushered out to the lawn.  Luckily Mike Leavitt had a son about my age and as I saw him and a few friends heading outside to the steps I was able to slip past security and blend right in.  Once outside I ditched the other teenagers and I went down the steps to where Mike Leavitt and his wife Jacalyn were standing.  I stood next to them and as the fireworks went off got another chance to talk to the governor.  I asked him how it felt to be inaugurated as Governor, he said that it was a great feeling, and that it was as overwhelming the third time as it was the first.  Then he said, “Maybe you will get to feel what it feels like one day, Mike.”  It was a great moment.  One that has inspired me and that I have often looked back on.

I have had a few chances to run into Gov. Leavitt since these interactions.  We crossed paths when I was working for the Attorney General and during the Olympics.  He has never seemed to recognize me and I doubt if he would know who I was if we were to run into each other today.  I have written him on a couple of occasions and shared with him some of how he impacted me.  He has always been gracious and written quick notes back to me.  We are in no way friends, we are barely acquaintances, but he has had a dramatic impact on my life in ways that will make me ever grateful for him.  He took a few minutes out of his busy schedule to inspire a young man, in my life those few minutes have paid huge dividends.  He has helped to shape who I am and I am grateful to him for that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Wall – Serving the Community

Many of the people that have influenced me are your average Joe’s and Jane’s.  They have been neighbors and friends, classmates and coworkers but occasionally they have been more public citizens or high profile individuals.  Some of the high profile folks on the list have come across as kind of “high and mighty.”  They know that they are a big deal in town and they let everybody know it.  This is a story about a man that was a big deal in town, but that was as down to earth as any neighbor and friend that you could hope for. Jim Wall was the president and publisher of the Deseret Morning news when I first met him.  He had been in that position for many years when we first crossed paths.  As the publisher of a major newspaper he had enormous influence in Salt Lake City and throughout Utah.  We met while we were both serving on the board of directors for the Salt Lake Convention and Visitors Bureau, later called Visit Salt Lake. The board is a ...

Rick Martin - Finance Chair

Thinking about Candace Daly for my last post made me think of some of the other people who helped me in tremendous ways and who were parents of my friends.  Some of them where always, and probably always will be my friends parent. I mean that I really only had a connection to them because of their children.  However some of the people that I am grateful for started out as my friend’s parents but eventually became good friends directly.  They are people who became close friends in their own right despite the strength of the relationship that I had with their children. One of these people, who I consider a friend first and the parent of a friend second, is Rick martin.  Rick is Justin Martin’s dad.  Justin and I went to Viewmont High School together and were pretty good friends.  He was one of a group of friends that as a group could have their own blog entry here.  Perhaps I will write about the impact of the group another day, but I will say that ...

Mike Hardy – The Reason that I am a Michael

I have never cared very much about what people call me, but for years most people have called me Michael.  I get asked all of the time whether I prefer to be called Mike or Michael and I have a canned response.  I tell everybody that when I was in high school one of my best friends was named Mike and that I was Michael and that was just how we were distinguished.  I probably go through this routine every couple of weeks and have for years.  Each time it reminds me of that Mike who used to be a huge part of my life and who, for many reasons, I am very grateful for. I don’t remember how I met Mike, I think he was a friend of a friend and I am sure that we started to hang out because we were friends with, and probably both trying to woo, the same girl. I remember that by the beginning of our junior year in high school that we were pretty close and that we got much closer through that year.  I could write countless stories of adventures that Mike and I had tha...