Skip to main content

Gratitude Project Process


I started making a list of the people that have really influenced me and I decided a couple of things.  I won’t place rules on the project because, it is mine and I can do whatever I would like, but perhaps I can explain what I intend so that there will be some clarity.  First of all, I don’t think that I want to write about family members.  I may later but for right now I want to focus on outside influences.  I can’t fathom writing about the influence of family members.  They have influenced me in too many ways to write and I feel like I would certainly come up short trying to express the entirety of their influence.  Second, there are a few people on my list that are still in my life in various ways.  Some I encounter frequently and interact with through work or in the community.  I am hesitant to write about these individuals because I don’t want to influence our current relationship or appear to be trying to influence them in any way.  However some of them were truly significant to me at some important point in my life.  So, my plan for now is to write about them only in the past tense, ignoring our current relationship and focusing on those things that they did in the past that have shaped my path.  Lastly, I am going to be careless about the order of my writing.  I started to worry about people perhaps reading this and feeling sad that there was not a story about them, not that anybody will really read it or care.  Yet I realized that there are close friends and associates that may not appear here for a very long time, if ever, but who have influenced me greatly.  I have come to terms with the fact that this is not about pleasing or gratifying all of the countless people that have blessed my life.  So if you are missing from the list so far, don’t worry about it.  It does not mean that you do not rank highly on my list of influencers.  It just means that I have not written about you in a blog.  If I do write about you, know that I thank you for the way that you influenced me. 
It may be interesting to note that there are people on the list that I commonly disagree with, some that I don’t even get along with, but at some point they influenced me in an important way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Wall – Serving the Community

Many of the people that have influenced me are your average Joe’s and Jane’s.  They have been neighbors and friends, classmates and coworkers but occasionally they have been more public citizens or high profile individuals.  Some of the high profile folks on the list have come across as kind of “high and mighty.”  They know that they are a big deal in town and they let everybody know it.  This is a story about a man that was a big deal in town, but that was as down to earth as any neighbor and friend that you could hope for. Jim Wall was the president and publisher of the Deseret Morning news when I first met him.  He had been in that position for many years when we first crossed paths.  As the publisher of a major newspaper he had enormous influence in Salt Lake City and throughout Utah.  We met while we were both serving on the board of directors for the Salt Lake Convention and Visitors Bureau, later called Visit Salt Lake. The board is a ...

Rick Martin - Finance Chair

Thinking about Candace Daly for my last post made me think of some of the other people who helped me in tremendous ways and who were parents of my friends.  Some of them where always, and probably always will be my friends parent. I mean that I really only had a connection to them because of their children.  However some of the people that I am grateful for started out as my friend’s parents but eventually became good friends directly.  They are people who became close friends in their own right despite the strength of the relationship that I had with their children. One of these people, who I consider a friend first and the parent of a friend second, is Rick martin.  Rick is Justin Martin’s dad.  Justin and I went to Viewmont High School together and were pretty good friends.  He was one of a group of friends that as a group could have their own blog entry here.  Perhaps I will write about the impact of the group another day, but I will say that ...

Mike Hardy – The Reason that I am a Michael

I have never cared very much about what people call me, but for years most people have called me Michael.  I get asked all of the time whether I prefer to be called Mike or Michael and I have a canned response.  I tell everybody that when I was in high school one of my best friends was named Mike and that I was Michael and that was just how we were distinguished.  I probably go through this routine every couple of weeks and have for years.  Each time it reminds me of that Mike who used to be a huge part of my life and who, for many reasons, I am very grateful for. I don’t remember how I met Mike, I think he was a friend of a friend and I am sure that we started to hang out because we were friends with, and probably both trying to woo, the same girl. I remember that by the beginning of our junior year in high school that we were pretty close and that we got much closer through that year.  I could write countless stories of adventures that Mike and I had tha...