Skip to main content

Candace Daly - Intro to Party Politics


I ran into Candace Daly at the grocery store the other day and we had a chance to talk a little bit about some of the things that we have done together over the years.  It made me think about some of the things that she has done in the past that have dramatically impacted my life.  I guess that she has become a logical next entry into my blog.

I met Candace initially because I was friends with her daughter Danica in high School.  In fact I remember the first time that I ever went to Danica’s home.  It was Halloween 1998 and I was a 15 year old boy with nothing to do. My step-sister Stefanie had plans to go to Danica’s house with several other girls.  When they came to pick her up they felt compassion on the sad teenage boy that had no place to be and they insisted that I come along.  From this time forward I got to know Danica and it lead to me meeting her mom. 
During those high school years Candace was the Vice Chair and Chair of the Davis County Republican Party.  At one point during my Junior year the Davis County Republican party had the thought that they needed to get young people more involved.  So Candace decided to have Danica invite some of her friends to the Annual Lincoln Day Dinner.  Because Danica knew that I was interested in politics, we had just returned from a DC field trip.  I was invited to attend the dinner along with a few other friends.

Candace was kind enough to put me at the head table with the Rob Bishop who was the head of the Utah Republican Party at the time.  It was my first experience being at a political event, my first time being at a Republican Party activity of any kind.  I got to sit with Rob Bishop and talk about the party, I got to see his laid back style and I got to eat some catered bbq.

The next year the Candace recruited the Viewmont High School Madrigals to perform at the Lincoln Day Dinner.  Certainly I was not one of them, but many of my friends were and I asked if I could come along, partly to support them as well as to get another taste of the politics.  By this time I was already serving as the student member of the Davis School Board and so I had started to meet a lot of the movers and shakers in the county.  So when I went to the dinner I had people to interact with and people to talk to.  It was a very different experience and my madrigal friends were impressed that I knew four or five folks in the crowd.  Again Candace got involved and worked to place me at the table of Senator Bob Bennett.  I had met Senator Bennett that summer while in DC as a participant in the American Legion Boys Nation program.  We had had a chance to sit in his little office under the capitol for thirty minutes talking about the Senate, what it was like to be part of history every day and how the inside baseball of the Senate worked.  So being able to sit with him again for a couple of hours was a real joy.  We were able to talk about the challenges of raising a family in DC and how Senators and Congressmen with younger children handled it.  We talked about his wife’s involvement with other Senate wives and how they hosted ambassadors and participated in charities.  It was a great dinner with many conversations that I will not soon forget.

Simply from these two events I could extrapolate the great impact that Candace Daly has had on my life.  However it did not end there.  In 2002 during the Olympic Games in Salt Lake City Candace was responsible to help find some volunteers to play host at a political gathering being hosted at the capitol by Governor Mike Leavitt.  Again Candace called upon me to come and help.  That day at that is event was when I had my first opportunity to mingle with ambassadors, and royalty from around the world.  I was an intern for Attorney General Mark Shurtleff at the time and I was able to slip into a VIP line with him which allowed me to meet Mayor Rudy Giuliani (along with Super Dale from Totally Awesome Computers).  To top it off I got my picture taken with Miss America.

Again this alone was an experience that changed my life in some way.  It gave me a taste of what the world of politics and even global politics was like.  But this was not all Candace did for me that day.  Her father, a retired member of the Utah Legislature, was invited to the Governor’s Closing Ceremonies party at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts.  He was in a wheelchair at the time and needed a lot of assistance. Candace asked if I would take her place at the party and help to drive him there, assist him around the event and bring him back.  This meant that I got to go to one of the most exclusive events during the Olympic Games.  I got to meet Mayor Giuliani again (remember this was a few months after 9/11).  I got to mingle with elected officials from around the state.  I had my first taste of caviar.  I heard the Ferry Family Fiddlers perform.  And most importantly I was a few hundred yards from the Closing Ceremonies and was able to see the fireworks going off all around me in a moment of great pride in our state and country.  This was an experience that I could not have paid for, and could not have otherwise dreamed of attending had Candace not intervened in my life.

During this time Candace ran for Vice Chair of the State Republican Party.  She invited me to be one of her nominators.  So I had the opportunity, as a young teenager, to stand up in front of the State Convention for the Republican Party and give a 30 second speech.  This may same like as much fun as playing in a lion’s den to some people, but for me it was an incredible experience as a young man.  At that convention she also had me serve as one of her poll watchers where I was able to be part of a very serious process which included a very small margin of victory for a different candidate.

Years later Candace would stand up in a Republican Party Senate District meeting and encourage people to vote for me as Senate District Chair.  She and I would work together at several party organizing conventions and at special elections meetings.  Much of which can again be attributed to her kind acts while I was a teenager.

It is hard to explain exactly how these experiences have impacted me.  They have certainly made me more comfortable volunteering to be involved in local government and the political process.  They certainly made me more excited to participate in these kinds of events and activities.  I would later help plan Lincoln Day Dinners like the ones that Candace invited me to.  But the impact was and is greater than all of these.  I have gained confidence through these experiences that have carried over into all aspects of my life.  I have gained perspective about the lives of those who serve in politics, perspective that has dramatically changed the way that I interact with elected officials.  These experiences have shaped me beyond just the political scene.  They have had a dramatic impact on me in everything that I do.

I was a high school kid with shaggy hair and Candace Daly took a chance at including me and that has made a big difference in my life.  So thank you to Candace.  Perhaps I will be able to help some young person have the types of experiences that you gave to me those many years ago.

Comments

Erin said…
Love Candace. It's so much fun to by in PRW with her

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Wall – Serving the Community

Many of the people that have influenced me are your average Joe’s and Jane’s.  They have been neighbors and friends, classmates and coworkers but occasionally they have been more public citizens or high profile individuals.  Some of the high profile folks on the list have come across as kind of “high and mighty.”  They know that they are a big deal in town and they let everybody know it.  This is a story about a man that was a big deal in town, but that was as down to earth as any neighbor and friend that you could hope for. Jim Wall was the president and publisher of the Deseret Morning news when I first met him.  He had been in that position for many years when we first crossed paths.  As the publisher of a major newspaper he had enormous influence in Salt Lake City and throughout Utah.  We met while we were both serving on the board of directors for the Salt Lake Convention and Visitors Bureau, later called Visit Salt Lake. The board is a ...

Rick Martin - Finance Chair

Thinking about Candace Daly for my last post made me think of some of the other people who helped me in tremendous ways and who were parents of my friends.  Some of them where always, and probably always will be my friends parent. I mean that I really only had a connection to them because of their children.  However some of the people that I am grateful for started out as my friend’s parents but eventually became good friends directly.  They are people who became close friends in their own right despite the strength of the relationship that I had with their children. One of these people, who I consider a friend first and the parent of a friend second, is Rick martin.  Rick is Justin Martin’s dad.  Justin and I went to Viewmont High School together and were pretty good friends.  He was one of a group of friends that as a group could have their own blog entry here.  Perhaps I will write about the impact of the group another day, but I will say that ...

Mike Hardy – The Reason that I am a Michael

I have never cared very much about what people call me, but for years most people have called me Michael.  I get asked all of the time whether I prefer to be called Mike or Michael and I have a canned response.  I tell everybody that when I was in high school one of my best friends was named Mike and that I was Michael and that was just how we were distinguished.  I probably go through this routine every couple of weeks and have for years.  Each time it reminds me of that Mike who used to be a huge part of my life and who, for many reasons, I am very grateful for. I don’t remember how I met Mike, I think he was a friend of a friend and I am sure that we started to hang out because we were friends with, and probably both trying to woo, the same girl. I remember that by the beginning of our junior year in high school that we were pretty close and that we got much closer through that year.  I could write countless stories of adventures that Mike and I had tha...