Skip to main content

Jim Wall – Serving the Community


Many of the people that have influenced me are your average Joe’s and Jane’s.  They have been neighbors and friends, classmates and coworkers but occasionally they have been more public citizens or high profile individuals.  Some of the high profile folks on the list have come across as kind of “high and mighty.”  They know that they are a big deal in town and they let everybody know it.  This is a story about a man that was a big deal in town, but that was as down to earth as any neighbor and friend that you could hope for.

Jim Wall was the president and publisher of the Deseret Morning news when I first met him.  He had been in that position for many years when we first crossed paths.  As the publisher of a major newspaper he had enormous influence in Salt Lake City and throughout Utah.  We met while we were both serving on the board of directors for the Salt Lake Convention and Visitors Bureau, later called Visit Salt Lake.

The board is a large one and so while we had exchanged pleasantries I did not really know Jim well until he volunteered as part of a group committed to studying a large downtown hotel project.  We ended up spending time together traveling to Denver and meeting with people who had pursued a similar hotel project.  I got to know Jim as a straight shooter, an intelligent person and a friend of doing what is right.  We started to spend more time together and I learned some incredible things about Jim.

I learned about his service in the community where he served on over twenty boards and committees, from the University Of Utah Board Of Trustees to Chamber of Commerce Committees and charity boards.  Now many people in important positions in the community are on a lot of boards but he was not just a board members but where he actively participated.  He gave his time, his talent and his heart to many important causes.

During this time I was reading Larry H. Millers biography and found out that as a member of the U of U Board of Trustees Jim had been instrumental in arranging a meeting between Mr. Miller and a group of Gay and Lesbian students following a large controversy surrounding the movie Brokeback Mountain.  The story has received a lot of attention as one that explains Larry Millers desire to understand people and as a demonstration of his compassion.  I was impressed by Jim’s role as the facilitator who wanted to help bring understanding to two sides of a difficult issue.  This is the type of person that Jim is.

It was also during this time that Deseret news announced that they were going to be having massive layoffs.  They would be letting go nearly half of their staff.  Remember Jim was the president and publisher of the paper which meant that he needed to pull the trigger on these firings.  In the process of letting all of these people go Jim chose to also let himself go.  He literally added his name to the people being let go.  He fired himself.  Think about what that says about a person.  It was a bold and impactful move.

Jim then became the President of the Sandy Chamber of Commerce where he continued to serve in the community.  During this time I presented an idea to Jim.  I was concerned about the lack of community involvement and active board participation from young executives and young business people that would soon become executives.  Essentially it was a way to provide mentorship from other community leaders to young up and coming business leaders.  Jim loved the idea.  He helped me to cultivate it think through it in more detail.  We created a plan for how this type of a program would work in Salt Lake.  At the time I was so grateful for his support and help.  I could not have imagined what great things would come from it.  Jim led a group at the time of some of the most influential people in Salt Lake City.  It was a group of business and political leaders, people that had great influence.  He decided that I should present my idea to this group.  They could offer feedback and give me their thoughts.

So I had one of the most fascinating experiences of my life.  I sat in a meeting room with great community leaders, folks like the governor, the CEO’s of large community players like Questar, Ivory Homes and the Chamber of Commerce along with others.  I was able to get feedback from the Minority Leader in the Senate and the President of the U of U.  We talked about my concern and my plan.  Jim supported me and explained his excitement for the idea.  Ultimately we found that there were some things in place in the city already that somewhat filled the needs I was trying to address, but I was given a wonderful learning opportunity with some people that I respect a lot.

It was interesting to talk with Jim about how he developed relationships with each of the folks in that room.  He told me that in many cases he had spent time with their assistants and secretaries, learning their names and all about them.  He knew that if he got to know them and showed genuine concern for them that they would help him to get time with their bosses.  For Jim that meant he had relationships with countless assistants and secretaries because it was a goal of his to have some kind of relationship with every major player in the state.  Something that he told me he felt like he had accomplished with the exception of some of the Hill Air Force Base upper ups.  The very fact that something like that was possible and that a person had done it fascinated me and made me evaluate my relationships and capacity for influence in the community.

During the time that we were spending a lot of time together Jim was called to oversee a mission in Louisiana.  He left his job, but continued to serve right up until the time that he left.  He is now in the middle of three years serving his church and his faith.

I have learned so much from my time with Jim Wall.  From his example I learned how important community service is, from his time with me I understood how important mentorship is, from the way that he counseled me I learned how much more I have to learn about the world.  He put me in positions to experience wonderful things that I will always remember.  He opened my eyes to what a great community servant looks like, and what they can accomplish.  For those things and more I will always be grateful for Jim Wall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rick Martin - Finance Chair

Thinking about Candace Daly for my last post made me think of some of the other people who helped me in tremendous ways and who were parents of my friends.  Some of them where always, and probably always will be my friends parent. I mean that I really only had a connection to them because of their children.  However some of the people that I am grateful for started out as my friend’s parents but eventually became good friends directly.  They are people who became close friends in their own right despite the strength of the relationship that I had with their children. One of these people, who I consider a friend first and the parent of a friend second, is Rick martin.  Rick is Justin Martin’s dad.  Justin and I went to Viewmont High School together and were pretty good friends.  He was one of a group of friends that as a group could have their own blog entry here.  Perhaps I will write about the impact of the group another day, but I will say that ...

Mike Hardy – The Reason that I am a Michael

I have never cared very much about what people call me, but for years most people have called me Michael.  I get asked all of the time whether I prefer to be called Mike or Michael and I have a canned response.  I tell everybody that when I was in high school one of my best friends was named Mike and that I was Michael and that was just how we were distinguished.  I probably go through this routine every couple of weeks and have for years.  Each time it reminds me of that Mike who used to be a huge part of my life and who, for many reasons, I am very grateful for. I don’t remember how I met Mike, I think he was a friend of a friend and I am sure that we started to hang out because we were friends with, and probably both trying to woo, the same girl. I remember that by the beginning of our junior year in high school that we were pretty close and that we got much closer through that year.  I could write countless stories of adventures that Mike and I had tha...