Skip to main content

Darrell White – The School Board


It seems like many of my posts so far have been about political influences, or people that have impacted my career.  Perhaps I will try to focus on a few other influences in my next post.  But not this one.

After writing about Mike Leavitt the other day I started thinking about one of the major players in that post.  If you read it you would have come across the name of Darrell White who was the superintendent of Davis School District while I was a student there.  Derrell was the one that helped to orchestrate my first meeting with Governor Leavitt while I was a sophomore at Viewmont.  Of that incident I could write a long post about how grateful I am to him.  However, since the history of that event and the subsequent effects of it are already in my other post on Mike Leavitt I want to focus here on some of the other great things that Dr. White did for me, for which I will ever be grateful.

At the end of my Jr. year I was selected as the Student Member of the Davis School District Board of Education.  I don’t know if Dr. White had influence in that decision but it did seem strange to me that a student that barely qualified to be a candidate by academic standards was selected over seven students with nearly perfect academic records and stellar extracurricular accomplishments. Regardless, I was chosen which meant that for the next year I would sit in board meetings twice each month as a representative of the nearly 60,000 students in the school district at the time.  This meant that I would have a great chance to work regularly with Dr. White. 

The main function of the Student Board Member was to be a voice for the students on issues facing the board.  I would go to pre-meeting seminars on the important issues and Dr. White and other staff members would teach the board members about the issues.  We would discuss the pros and cons of decisions and hopefully prepare for the upcoming votes.  I did not have a formal vote, but I could actively participate in conversations and give input.  Historically there were many student members that held this responsibility as symbolic and who simply responded when they were directly asked about student related issues.  However I determined to and Dr. White strongly encouraged, that I be more involved in all of the important issues.
He would often suggest to the Board President that I should be consulted on issues and he always took whatever time was necessary in the pre-meeting sessions to ensure that I was well versed and prepared to speak to important issues.  He wanted me to have the chance to be as active as I wanted to be.

One of my responsibilities was to chair the Student Council, a group made of the Student Body President of each school as well as other elected school officers.  Dr. White attended each of our monthly meetings (along with other district staff) and helped me to prepare agendas and to lead meaningful discussions.  Again this group was often used symbolically, but in that year we crafted a series of recommendations on topics as diverse as Senior Projects and Drivers Ed Curriculum, several of which were adopted.  Dr. White helped us to succeed by helping me to learn how to lead the group.  It was my responsibility in his eyes and he wanted me to do well in accomplishing my duties.  I learned a lot about committee work and about what it takes to lead that kind of committee.  Dr. White and his willingness to cut time out of his schedule in order to help me be successful in that responsibility made a big difference to me.

Later in the year all of the Sr. students were required to do a one day job shadow of somebody in a career that they were interested in.  A good portion of the students went to work with their parents and many returned with great stories of golfing with their dads for their job shadow.  Others found neighbors or family friends that were in interesting fields and a very few contacted companies cold and asked for the opportunity to shadow people in their chosen area of interest.  I was not sure who to shadow, I knew that I wanted to go into business, but I did not know what kind of business.  I had real interest in politics, but did not know how I could job shadow somebody in that realm.  So I turned to Dr. White.  Knowing of his connection with the governor and their friendship I again asked if he could help put me in touch.  I decided that I wanted to do my job shadow with the governor.

Obviously this was not likely to happen but Dr. White went to work anyway and spoke with his contacts at the capitol.  He made arrangements for me to do a day long job shadow with the Education Secretary.  I wrote much of what happened that day in my Mike Leavitt post.  In short I spent the day in the Education Secretary’s office which was just around the corner from the Lt. Governor and the Governor, unlike how the Utah capitol is set up today.  I was able to spend about an hour with the Lt. Governor as well as some time with then Governor Leavitt.  I ended up with a ticket to the inauguration that day which led to other wonderful experiences.

In many small and some fantastic ways Dr. White has had a great influence on my life. I learned from him about how important preparation is when going into an important meeting or when leading a committee.  I was given once in a lifetime opportunities because of things that he did on my behalf and the doors that he helped to open.  For those lessons and kind acts and many others I will always be grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Wall – Serving the Community

Many of the people that have influenced me are your average Joe’s and Jane’s.  They have been neighbors and friends, classmates and coworkers but occasionally they have been more public citizens or high profile individuals.  Some of the high profile folks on the list have come across as kind of “high and mighty.”  They know that they are a big deal in town and they let everybody know it.  This is a story about a man that was a big deal in town, but that was as down to earth as any neighbor and friend that you could hope for. Jim Wall was the president and publisher of the Deseret Morning news when I first met him.  He had been in that position for many years when we first crossed paths.  As the publisher of a major newspaper he had enormous influence in Salt Lake City and throughout Utah.  We met while we were both serving on the board of directors for the Salt Lake Convention and Visitors Bureau, later called Visit Salt Lake. The board is a ...

Rick Martin - Finance Chair

Thinking about Candace Daly for my last post made me think of some of the other people who helped me in tremendous ways and who were parents of my friends.  Some of them where always, and probably always will be my friends parent. I mean that I really only had a connection to them because of their children.  However some of the people that I am grateful for started out as my friend’s parents but eventually became good friends directly.  They are people who became close friends in their own right despite the strength of the relationship that I had with their children. One of these people, who I consider a friend first and the parent of a friend second, is Rick martin.  Rick is Justin Martin’s dad.  Justin and I went to Viewmont High School together and were pretty good friends.  He was one of a group of friends that as a group could have their own blog entry here.  Perhaps I will write about the impact of the group another day, but I will say that ...

Mike Hardy – The Reason that I am a Michael

I have never cared very much about what people call me, but for years most people have called me Michael.  I get asked all of the time whether I prefer to be called Mike or Michael and I have a canned response.  I tell everybody that when I was in high school one of my best friends was named Mike and that I was Michael and that was just how we were distinguished.  I probably go through this routine every couple of weeks and have for years.  Each time it reminds me of that Mike who used to be a huge part of my life and who, for many reasons, I am very grateful for. I don’t remember how I met Mike, I think he was a friend of a friend and I am sure that we started to hang out because we were friends with, and probably both trying to woo, the same girl. I remember that by the beginning of our junior year in high school that we were pretty close and that we got much closer through that year.  I could write countless stories of adventures that Mike and I had tha...