Skip to main content

Gary Howe – A Place to Lay My Head


Sometimes one act of kindness in a moment of dire need can have a long and lasting impact.  This is a story about one of those acts.

Not long after starting my job at the Utah Hotel & Lodging Association I started a blog of sorts doing reviews of hotels around the state.  It was a way for me to highlight and bring attention to hotels that supported the association.  It also gave me a chance to get around the state and to visit a lot of hotels.  I would usually try to connect these reviews with meetings that I needed to attend in order to get more bang for my buck.

On one such occasion my plan did not work very well.  I had planned a meeting in Cedar City to help the hotels there organize a local lodging association.  It was a lunch meeting that would only last a few hours.  However, since it was a three hour drive each way I figured I would use it as a chance to visit a local property.

I had been talking with Patrice Arent who was doing the marketing for the Boulder Mountain Lodge and who had wanted a hotel review for the property.  Since I knew of no meeting in the Boulder area I figured that I could swing by that way and stay a night on my way to Cedar City.  It was a few hours out of the way but at least it would be a good drive and a stay at a nice property.  We emailed back and forth and set the date for the visit.  I would stay one night the day before my meetings.

I set off for the five hour drive to Boulder from work at about noon.  I figured that I would get there just before dinner, I could look around, enjoy the evening and then hit the road first thing the next morning on the way to the meeting in Cedar.

The drive was fantastic.  It is literally one of the prettiest drives in the world and I really enjoyed it.  I arrived at the Boulder Mountain Lodge at about 4:30 – 5:00 and tried to check in.  This is when things got strange.  Patrice was out on a hike and the gal at the desk did not have a reservation for me.  The small lodge was full but not with me.

While the front desk gal called Patrice to return from her hike I checked my email to make sure that I was there on the right day.  I looked at the last email where I had confirmed the date and sure enough it was the right day.  Then I looked back through some of the other emails.  It turned out that every time that I wrote Patrice I had used one date and every time that she wrote me she used the next day.  We had gone back and forth five or six times without either of us noticing that we were on different dates.

Ultimately Patrice came back and apologized for the mix up, called the other property in town and found that they too were full.  I decided to take the tour of the property since I was there after which I would hit the road again and find a place to stay at Bryce Canyon.  So we did a tour or the property, then we took a drive to the Burr Trail to check it out, we hiked a small slot canyon and then headed back for dinner.  We had dinner at about 8:30 at the Hell’s Backbone Grill, which by the way is very good.  By 9:45 I was ready to hit the road and I said goodbye.

I took highway 12 south and drove through one of the most scenic pieces of road in the world.  It really is worth the drive.  The problem is that I started just as the sun began to set.  I stopped once or twice to look off the cliffs on either side of the road and to try to see the vast canyons below me.  Eventually it was too dark to see anything so I hit the road and tried to make some progress through the winding Escalante roads.

By about 11:30 after many hours of driving that day was starting to get drowsy on the dark roads.  I pulled off in Tropic to have quick snooze before moving on.  I pulled into the cemetery where there was a little spot for me to park.  I rolled the window down, stuck my feet out and laid back for a little nap.  Sleeping in cemeteries in small towns is different than sleeping in cemeteries in larger cities, they are far more peaceful.

After an hour or two of a little nap I made my way down the road to Bryce Canyon.  I went to the Bryce View Lodge which had just opened.  It was full.  They were booked solid.  They called the other properties and found that they too were booked solid.  I decided that at this point sleeping in my car was as good as it was going to get.  So I pulled my car into a back lot where there was not a lot of light and tried to sleep.  It was pretty awful; I wished that I had not left the cemetery.  I tossed and turned for three or four hours just trying to get some much needed rest.  At about 6:00 AM as the sun began to come up I decided that I might as well make my way to Cedar City.  So I hit the road for the hour and a half drive towards civilization.  It was another fantastic drive with amazing views and I really enjoyed parts of it, but I was pretty tired.  

As I came into cell phone reception I called the Cedar City Crystall Inn where our meetings would be later in the day.  I explained to Gary Howe, the general manager at the hotel, that I had not quite found a place to sleep.  He immediately and generously offered to put me up in a room for a few hours so that I could at least have a shower and perhaps a little bit of sleep.

Gary did not make a big deal of it, he simply had keys waiting for me at the front desk when I arrived and I was able to get a quick nap and a shower and I was able to attend my meeting.  He did not charge me for the room, he did not ask for any favor, he just gave it to me.  While for him it was no big deal, the room was empty and I would only take it for a few hours, for me it made an enormous difference.  I think a lot of important moments in our lives are like that.  One person does a small act for another person and it makes their day, their year, maybe their life. 

Since that morning Gary and I have had many opportunities to work together since that time and he has shown great courtesy to me on numerous occasions.  Although we know each other much better now than we did at that time no one act of his will stick in my memory as well that of the morning where I had not slept.  I will always be grateful to Gary for a place to lay my head and a shower.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Wall – Serving the Community

Many of the people that have influenced me are your average Joe’s and Jane’s.  They have been neighbors and friends, classmates and coworkers but occasionally they have been more public citizens or high profile individuals.  Some of the high profile folks on the list have come across as kind of “high and mighty.”  They know that they are a big deal in town and they let everybody know it.  This is a story about a man that was a big deal in town, but that was as down to earth as any neighbor and friend that you could hope for. Jim Wall was the president and publisher of the Deseret Morning news when I first met him.  He had been in that position for many years when we first crossed paths.  As the publisher of a major newspaper he had enormous influence in Salt Lake City and throughout Utah.  We met while we were both serving on the board of directors for the Salt Lake Convention and Visitors Bureau, later called Visit Salt Lake. The board is a ...

Rick Martin - Finance Chair

Thinking about Candace Daly for my last post made me think of some of the other people who helped me in tremendous ways and who were parents of my friends.  Some of them where always, and probably always will be my friends parent. I mean that I really only had a connection to them because of their children.  However some of the people that I am grateful for started out as my friend’s parents but eventually became good friends directly.  They are people who became close friends in their own right despite the strength of the relationship that I had with their children. One of these people, who I consider a friend first and the parent of a friend second, is Rick martin.  Rick is Justin Martin’s dad.  Justin and I went to Viewmont High School together and were pretty good friends.  He was one of a group of friends that as a group could have their own blog entry here.  Perhaps I will write about the impact of the group another day, but I will say that ...

Mike Hardy – The Reason that I am a Michael

I have never cared very much about what people call me, but for years most people have called me Michael.  I get asked all of the time whether I prefer to be called Mike or Michael and I have a canned response.  I tell everybody that when I was in high school one of my best friends was named Mike and that I was Michael and that was just how we were distinguished.  I probably go through this routine every couple of weeks and have for years.  Each time it reminds me of that Mike who used to be a huge part of my life and who, for many reasons, I am very grateful for. I don’t remember how I met Mike, I think he was a friend of a friend and I am sure that we started to hang out because we were friends with, and probably both trying to woo, the same girl. I remember that by the beginning of our junior year in high school that we were pretty close and that we got much closer through that year.  I could write countless stories of adventures that Mike and I had tha...