Skip to main content

Ben Gaughran – Singing Coach


I have many mentors in my life that I am very grateful for.  Most of them are older and more experienced and have taught me lessons through their experience.  However a few times I have come across mentors that didn’t need experience or seniority to teach me important lessons or to give me great gifts.  Here is the story of one of those younger people that I will always be grateful for, not because of their life experience or their grand wisdom but because of their force of character and the quality of their personality.

I met Ben Gaughran when I was living in his grandmother’s home in England.  I was about 20 and he was only 15.  Ben, his grandmother and their entire family were very close and so we saw Ben around the house regularly. 

My missionary companion at the time was John Parker, he and I got along great and really enjoyed working together.  John was an impressive person himself and he loved to sing.  He came from a family where if you wanted to get a dirt bike then you had to learn to play every hymn in the hymnal on the piano and they sang together every morning.  He was a confident singer and felt comfortable singing in front of groups, and often sang solo in church meetings.  I on the other hand was barely comfortable singing in the crowd.  Only after a few years of trying to be more courageous with my voice and experiences like being in my school musicals was I willing to sing out loud in the congregation.

With that context comes one of the ways that Ben blessed my life.  Because he was responsible for the music at the church (remember he was only 15) and because he was the pianist for the choir he convinced John that he needed to join the choir.  Because we were missionary companions that meant that I was joining the choir as well.  It went really well, it was one of those ward choirs with barely enough men to split into two parts.  I was trying to sing the bass line and after some time at our first practice I was asked to un-volunteer for the volunteer choir.  That is right the choir director asked me to leave, or suggested that I sit in the pews and just watch.  Trust me this is good for the confidence of an inexperienced singer.  But there I was kicked out of the same choir that plead for anybody to come and join because numbers were so low.

It was only a few weeks later that Ben, responsible as he was for the music, asked if John and I would sing a duet during an upcoming meeting.  He was crazy, I told him so.  I had no interest in making a fool of myself and I told him so.  But with his assurance that he would help me to practice and John’s determination to sing his way into the hearts of the congregation I was shanghaied into singing a duet in front of the whole church.

What made this a special experience for me was not that I ended up singing.  But it was watching the way that Ben decided that he was going to help me be successful in this endeavor.  He worked with me to determine my range and helped to find a song that would fit in that range.  He recognized that not knowing the words would be an added obstacle so he helped pick a song that I knew well and was comfortable with.  Then, night after night he would come to our home (his grandma’s) and practice with us.  He would go through my part time and again and make sure that I knew my notes, he worked tirelessly to try to get me to sing out and really use my lungs.  The whole experience for me started as embarrassing and awkward but he would not let up.  He couldn’t stand the thought of me singing and feeling like I had done a poor job so he pushed me to be so comfortable that when that day came that I could have a good experience.

That day did come and I did have a good experience.  I was no Pavarotti but I felt comfortable singing to people that I loved and performing a song that expressed words that are important to my heart.  I was able to forget  the nerves that had concerned me and confidently just sing.  I honestly don’t know if I was off key, if people could hear me over John or if it sounded pleasant at all.  I do know that by the time Ben was through with me that I was not scared to stand up in front of a large group and sing my heart out.

Ben is older now and has his own family, he and I have crossed paths a few times since when he has visited Utah.  But I will always remember him.  It was the combination of Ben’s love of music and his magnetic energy that pushed and pulled and prodded me along. He moved me a long distance with just the force of his character.  For that I will always be grateful for Ben.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Wall – Serving the Community

Many of the people that have influenced me are your average Joe’s and Jane’s.  They have been neighbors and friends, classmates and coworkers but occasionally they have been more public citizens or high profile individuals.  Some of the high profile folks on the list have come across as kind of “high and mighty.”  They know that they are a big deal in town and they let everybody know it.  This is a story about a man that was a big deal in town, but that was as down to earth as any neighbor and friend that you could hope for. Jim Wall was the president and publisher of the Deseret Morning news when I first met him.  He had been in that position for many years when we first crossed paths.  As the publisher of a major newspaper he had enormous influence in Salt Lake City and throughout Utah.  We met while we were both serving on the board of directors for the Salt Lake Convention and Visitors Bureau, later called Visit Salt Lake. The board is a ...

Rick Martin - Finance Chair

Thinking about Candace Daly for my last post made me think of some of the other people who helped me in tremendous ways and who were parents of my friends.  Some of them where always, and probably always will be my friends parent. I mean that I really only had a connection to them because of their children.  However some of the people that I am grateful for started out as my friend’s parents but eventually became good friends directly.  They are people who became close friends in their own right despite the strength of the relationship that I had with their children. One of these people, who I consider a friend first and the parent of a friend second, is Rick martin.  Rick is Justin Martin’s dad.  Justin and I went to Viewmont High School together and were pretty good friends.  He was one of a group of friends that as a group could have their own blog entry here.  Perhaps I will write about the impact of the group another day, but I will say that ...

Mike Hardy – The Reason that I am a Michael

I have never cared very much about what people call me, but for years most people have called me Michael.  I get asked all of the time whether I prefer to be called Mike or Michael and I have a canned response.  I tell everybody that when I was in high school one of my best friends was named Mike and that I was Michael and that was just how we were distinguished.  I probably go through this routine every couple of weeks and have for years.  Each time it reminds me of that Mike who used to be a huge part of my life and who, for many reasons, I am very grateful for. I don’t remember how I met Mike, I think he was a friend of a friend and I am sure that we started to hang out because we were friends with, and probably both trying to woo, the same girl. I remember that by the beginning of our junior year in high school that we were pretty close and that we got much closer through that year.  I could write countless stories of adventures that Mike and I had tha...